Do You Qualify?
If you are a homeowner age 62 or older and have paid off your mortgage or paid down a considerable amount, and are currently living in the home, you may participate in FHA’s Home Equity Conversion Mortgage (HECM) program. The HECM is FHA’s reverse mortgage program that enables you to withdraw a portion of your home’s equity. You can also use a HECM to purchase a primary residence if you can use cash on hand to pay the difference between the HECM proceeds and the sales price plus closing costs for your purchasing property.
How the Program Works
There are many factors to consider before deciding whether a HECM is right for you. To aid in this process, you must meet with a HECM counselor to discuss program eligibility requirements, financial implications, and alternatives to obtaining a HECM and repaying the loan. Counselors will also discuss provisions for the mortgage becoming due and payable. Upon the completion of HECM counseling, you should be able to make an independent, informed decision of whether this product will meet your specific needs
There are borrower and property eligibility requirements that must be met. You can use the listing below to see if you qualify. If you meet the eligibility criteria, you can complete a reverse mortgage application by contacting me to get you in touch with an approved lender.
- Be 62 years of age or older
- Own the property outright or paid down a considerable amount
- Occupy the property as your principal residence
- Not be delinquent on any federal debt
- Have financial resources to continue making timely payment of ongoing property charges such as property taxes, insurance, Homeowner Association fees, etc.
- Participate in a consumer information session given by a HUD-approved HECM counselor
The following eligible property types must meet all FHA property standards and flood requirements:
- Single-family home or 2-4 unit home with one unit occupied by the borrower
- HUD-approved condominium project
- Manufactured home that meets FHA requirements
- Income, assets, monthly living expenses, and credit history will be verified.
- Timely payment of real estate taxes, hazard, and flood insurance premiums will be verified
For adjustable interest rate mortgages, you can select one of the following payment plans:
- Tenure – equal monthly payments as long as at least one borrower lives and continues to occupy the property as a principal residence.
- Term – equal monthly payments for a fixed period of months selected.
- Line of Credit – unscheduled payments or installments at times and in an amount of your choosing until the line of credit is exhausted.
- Modified Tenure – a combination of line of credit and scheduled monthly payments for as long as you remain in the home.
- Modified Term – a combination of line of credit plus monthly payments for a fixed period of months selected by the borrower.
For fixed interest rate mortgages, you will receive the Single Disbursement Lump Sum payment plan.
Mortgage Amount Based On
The amount you may borrower will depend on:
- Age of the youngest borrower or eligible non-borrowing spouse
- Current interest rate; and
- Lesser of appraised value or the HECM FHA mortgage limit of $625,500 or the sales price
If there is more than one borrower and no eligible non-borrowing spouse, the age of the youngest borrower is used to determine the amount you can borrow.
Please contact me today if you are interested I will get you in touch with an approved lender!
George Freelove 407-408-5167